Personal Branding – 5 Simple Strategies For Building Your Twitter Followers
Twitter is a powerful personal branding tool that levels the playing field and provides an opportunity for you to connect with people you may have otherwise never met. Though the tool is powerful, getting the most out of it requires a strategy for increasing your followers within your niche market. Here are 5 simple strategies for increasing your Twitter followers:
1. Brand Your Profile – People will be more likely to follow you if you have a branded profile page. Taking just a few minutes to add a photo, bio and description will go a long way in helping visitors decide if they want to follow your updates. To make your profile even more powerful I suggest that you add a customized Twitter background image.
2. Find people within your niche market and follow them – There are two types of people you will want to look for within your niche market when you are looking for people to follow.
- First, look for people how have expertise within your niche market and follow them.
- Second, look for people who are engaged in conversation on topics within your area of expertise.
So now you may be asking, “How do I conduct a Twitter search?” Twitter has a built in search feature that can be accessed by visiting the bottom of the Twitter website where you will find the ‘Search’ link. This tool will allow you to do basic or advanced searches on all tweets within Twitter.
3. Use Twitter tools to help you find people to connect with:
- Twollo.com – Find and follow fellow Twitterers with similar interests and follow them automatically or add them to a report you can review before following them.
- MrTweet.com – Mr. Tweet your personal networking agent who helps you expand your Twitter network easily. He helps you in the following ways 1) Find relevant followers by recommending you to them and 2) Discover great people you may want to follow who are relevant to your current interests.
4. Pay it Forward – When you discover a great resource or valuable information through someone else’s tweet, become a ReTweetist and share the information with your followers. A Retweet repeats some information previously tweeted by another user. Simply copy and paste the previously tweeted info and add an ‘RT’ in front of it. A retweeted message if formatted like this: RT @LiveYourBrand : Always remember you are bigger, more powerful and more valuable than you have ever been taught to believe.
5. Engage in meaningful and relevant conversation with thought leaders within your niche market. Interesting and powerful conversations with others is a great way to attract new followers. For example if @UpwardAction enters into a conversation with @LiveYourBrand about installing a WordPress blog, it is likely that people who are following @LiveYourBrand who are not following @UpwardAction will be curious to know who this Tweeter is and then possibly follow them.
Lethia Owens is Branding and Market Domination Strategist. She has earned the Certified Speaking Professional (CSP) designation which is the highest designation awarded by the National Speaking Association. She is ranked #8 among the top 30 brand gurus in the world and she has completed a 6-country tour for her best selling book Your Brand Influence: The Art and Science of Building an Influential Personal Brand. Lethia’s message of reinvention, courage and self-empowerment has inspired audiences on Fox, CBS and NBC affiliate networks.