Promoting Your Events on LinkedIn
LinkedIn will be shutting off the LinkedIn Events application effective November 26, 2012. To read more visit http://help.linkedin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1213.
LinkedIn offers several options for getting the word out about your upcoming events. This blog post will share simple strategies you can implement today to increase visibility for your events and meetings.
Using the LinkeIn Events Application
This tool allows you to see what events your entire professional network is attending and find events recommended to you based on your industry and job function! Using this application, you can meet up with prospects at the next industry event or re-connect with old friends. I have used the tool to learn about events my connections were attending and also to find places to post details about my events. You can learn more about each conference and seminar, including reading comments about events, see who’s attending and see who’s interested. You can put important conferences on your profile and you can even show when you are presenting!
Promoting Your Event on LinkedIn
- To add and promote your event on LinkedIn, go to the Events section on the More tab
- Click on the tab called Add an Event. Enter your event information and then click the Publish button. Keywords are very important so be sure to include keywords that will help people find your event. This is an important Search Engine Optimization (SEO) step.
- Next, edit your profile and add your registration link to the website section and be sure to enter the title of the event.
- Now you can invite up to 50 connections in your network. A key to helping spread the word is asking the people you invite to forward the invitation on to people they think would be interested in attending your event. Also ask them to click on the interested button even if they can not attend in order to get the event in front of their network of connections on LinkedIn.
- Keep your event top of mind and post periodic updates with a link to your event.
- Encourage people
- Evaluate your budget and if possible, create a LinkedIn Ad to help promote your event. The LinkedIn Ad will allow you to reach additional people your demographic and target market.
- Depending on the nature of your event you may decide to create a LinkedIn Group for the event. You can use the group to keep everyone informed of the latest happenings and news related to the event.
- Share with others by posting comments and discussions related to your upcoming event in various LinkedIn Groups with members within your target market.
- Write a post on your blog about your event and use the WordPress or Blog Link application to display your blog updates on your LinkedIn profile.
- Install the Google Presentation application and then add a video about your event. If you need step-by-step instructions, watch this video.
- Install the SlideShare application and then create a SlideShare presentation about your event.
I hope you have found these tips helpful. I’d like to invite you to check out my 7-City tour called “Your IRRESISTIBLE Brand” where I share tons of ideas and strategies for promoting your brand online using social media marketing. Click here to learn more about the tour.
Lethia Owens is Branding and Market Domination Strategist. She has earned the Certified Speaking Professional (CSP) designation which is the highest designation awarded by the National Speaking Association. She is ranked #8 among the top 30 brand gurus in the world and she has completed a 6-country tour for her best selling book Your Brand Influence: The Art and Science of Building an Influential Personal Brand. Lethia’s message of reinvention, courage and self-empowerment has inspired audiences on Fox, CBS and NBC affiliate networks.